[This just in from SB Steve (Post Island SBs)]
Jan. 25, 2022, 9:50 PM EST / Updated Jan. 26, 2022, 12:29 AM EST
By Tim Stelloh
Ozzie, the world’s oldest male gorilla, has died, Zoo Atlanta officials said Tuesday. He was 61.
Ozzie, a western lowland silverback, was found dead by his care team Tuesday morning, the zoo said in a news release.
The cause of death wasn’t known, but over the last 24 hours Ozzie had been treated for facial swelling, weakness and an inability to eat or drink, the zoo said.
Ozzie was one of 13 gorillas at Zoo Atlanta who tested positive for Covid-19 last year. Officials said at the time that they believed the apes contracted it from a zoo worker who had been fully vaccinated and was wearing protective equipment. The worker was asymptomatic.
The zoo said it would release results of Ozzie’s necropsy after it is completed by the University of Georgia’s veterinary college.
“This is a devastating loss for Zoo Atlanta,” park CEO Raymond King said in a statement. “While we knew this time would come someday, that inevitability does nothing to stem the deep sadness we feel at losing a legend.”
Ozzie, who weighed 350 pounds, arrived at the zoo in 1988. He fathered 12 gorillas at the park, which described him as a “terrific father” who disliked loud music and had a taste for oranges and cabbage.
The western lowland gorilla, one of four subspecies of the great ape. is native to the rainforests of central Africa. Poaching and disease have shrunk its population by 60 percent, leaving the animals critically endangered, according to the World Wildlife Fund, a conservation group.
[Silverback John (Mendocino Bonobos) thought he could tickle us with this]
SB Fen (Santa Fe SBs) sent this. Pssst … don’t tell him that this is an orangutan, not a gorilla:
Silverback Steve (Post Island SBs) also reminds us that there is plenty to celebrate in February:
February Daily Holidays and Observances
- February 1: National Freedom Day, National Dark Chocolate Day, National Serpent Day, National Baked Alaska Day, National Get Up Day
- February 2: Groundhog Day, National Hedgehog Day, National Tater Tot Day, National Ukulele Day
- February 3: Four Chaplains Day, National Missing Persons Day, National Carrot Cake Day, National Golden Retriever Day
- February 4: USO Day, World Cancer Day,1 National Homemade Soup Day
- February 5: National Weatherperson’s Day, World Nutella Day
- February 6: National Lame Duck Day, Pay a Compliment Day, National Frozen Yogurt Day
- February 7: National Send a Card to a Friend Day, Rose Day, National Fettuccine Alfredo Day, National Bubble Gum Day* (first Friday), National Wear Red Day* (first Friday), Give Kids a Smile Day* (first Friday)
- February 8: Take Your Child to the Library Day* (first Saturday), National Kite Flying Day, Opera Day, Read in the Bathtub Day
- February 9, National Pizza Day, World Marriage Day* (second Sunday), SILVERBACK STEPHEN’S BIRTHDAY!!
- February 10: National Umbrella Day, Teddy Day, National Clean Out Your Computer Day* (second Monday)
- February 11: National Inventors’ Day, National Make a Friend Day, National Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day, National Make a Friend Day, Get Out Your Guitar Day, International Day of Women and Girls in Science
- February 12: Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday, International Darwin Day
- February 13: World Radio Day, Galentine’s Day, National Tortellini Day
- February 14: Valentine’s Day, National [Organ] Donor Day2
- February 15: National Gumdrop Day, Susan B. Anthony Day, National Bagel Day, Singles Awareness Day
- February 16: Do a Grouch a Favor Day, National Almond Day
- February 17: Presidents’ Day* (third Monday)
- February 18: National Battery Day, National Drink Wine Day
- February 19: National Chocolate Mint Day
- February 20: National Love Your Pet Day, National Muffin Day
- February 21: International Mother Language Day, National Sticky Bun Day, National Caregivers Day* (third Friday)
- February 22: George Washington’s Birthday, Be Humble Day, World Thinking Day, National Margarita Day
- February 23: National Banana Bread Day
- February 24: National Tortilla Chip Day
- February 25: National Chocolate Covered Nut Day, Let’s All Eat Right Day, National Clam Chowder Day, National Pancake Day, World Spay Day* (last Tuesday)
- February 26: Tell a Fairy Tale Day, National Pistachio Day
- February 27: No Brainer Day, International Polar Bear Day, National Chili Day, Digital Learning Day* (last Thursday)
- February 28: National Public Sleeping Day, National Chocolate Souffle Day, National Science Day
- February 29: Leap Day (every four years), Rare Disease Day* (either 28 or 29 depending on year)3