Best of the ‘Gest
from March 9, 2021, the first of an entire week of postings on Silverbelle Dolly
From Dolly’s Wikipedia page:
- In 1990, the American Eagle Foundation entered into a multi-year corporate partnership with the Dollywood Company and cooperated with them to develop Eagle Mountain Sanctuary at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Eagle Mountain Sanctuary is the largest gathering of non-releasable bald eagles found in the world.
2. In 1999, Parton was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame. She has composed over 3,000 songs, including “I Will Always Love You” (a two-time U.S. country chart-topper, as well as an international pop hit for Whitney Houston), “Jolene“, “Coat of Many Colors“, and “9 to 5“.
4. Since the mid-1980s, Parton has supported many charitable efforts, particularly in the area of literacy, primarily through her Dollywood Foundation. Her literacy program, Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library, a part of the Dollywood Foundation, mails one book per month to each enrolled child from the time of their birth until they enter kindergarten. Currently, over 1600 local communities provide the Imagination Library to almost 850,000 children each month across the U.S., Canada, the UK, Australia, and the Republic of Ireland. In 2018, Parton was honored by the Library of Congress on account of the “charity sending out its 100 millionth book”.
6. The Dollywood Foundation, funded from Parton’s profits, has been noted for bringing jobs and tax revenues to a previously depressed region. Parton also has worked to raise money for several other causes, including the American Red Cross and HIV/AIDS-related charities. In December 2006, Parton pledged $500,000 toward a proposed $90-million hospital and cancer center to be constructed in Sevierville in the name of Robert F. Thomas, the physician who delivered her.
7. She also played a benefit concert to raise additional funds for the project. The concert played to about 8,000 people. That same year, Emmylou Harris and she had allowed their music to be used in a PETA ad campaign that encouraged pet owners to keep their dogs indoors rather than chained outside.With Tennessee Senator Bob Corker at the rededication ceremony for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in September 2009.
8. Dolly once lost a Dolly Parton Look-alike Contest!
So … what have you done with your life?